Day 19 – Laugh Away Your Stress
Unfortunately, our propensity to laugh is lost as we age. One study showed that children may laugh as much as 400 times in a day while adults laugh 15 times or less.
Here's is how laughter heals us:
- It reduces our stress hormones, such as cortisol and increases our endorphins (hormones that make us happy).
- Think of how you feel after a 'good' cry. Laughter works in the same way, creating a physical and emotional release and balancing our emotions in the process.
- Laughter increases our immune cells and improves the function of them.
- It's a great physical workout for our 'insides' - exercising the diaphragm along with contracting our abs and shoulders.
- Laughter changes our attitude, taking the focus off of our troubles and helping us to see them as a challenge instead of a threat.
- Laughter's contagious and helps us connect with those around us. When we laugh, we help others laugh and, in doing so, improve their health and mental state of being.
In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed. Khalil Gibran
- When looking for something to read or watch, choose something that will make you laugh.
- Plan activities and events with friends that will bring out the fun and laughter.
- Look for the humour - if you can find something to laugh at in a trial or problem, you will lessen the stress that it brings into your life.
- Smile more.